Bloating, nausea, gas, constipation, diarrhea … many ailments that are indicative of poor digestion or medically known as dyspepsia. On the shelves of organic shops and pharmacies abound various food supplements to facilitate digestion. Which one to choose ? Before complementing, it is necessary to identify the exact cause and target the symptom (s) in order to take the appropriate remedy for the case.
What is digestion?
Digestion is a biological process that is responsible for transforming foods into assimilable nutrients: proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, lipids and other assimilable substances. They also cross the intestinal wall to enter the bloodstream.
Roughly, we can define digestion in 4 steps:
- Mastication: the first step is in the mouth, grinding food coming in contact with saliva allows to begin the chemical degradation of starch food with amylase (digestive enzyme produced by the salivary gland)
- Gastric digestion: the second stage is primarily in the stomach, this stage is essentially chemical. In the stomach the food is reduced to pulp thanks to peristaltic movements which will favor the action of the gastric juice which makes it possible to degrade the proteins.
- Intestinal digestion: In the intestine, these foods continue to be degraded by digestive juices from the pancreas and gallbladder. The intestines contract and relax continuously, these movements are controlled by the nervous system that slowed or accelerates digestion, it sends the chyme (name of the food once crushed) to the anus.
- Colon digestion: the colon is a storage area and water recovery. At this stage, only dietary fiber, parts of cereals, fruits and vegetables remain that we do not digest. These undigested residues will be supported by the abundant bacterial population of our colon. This is home to several tens of billions of microorganisms. This bacterial flora is divided into two categories: the fermentation flora and the flora of putrefaction.
- Digestion ends when the stool is expelled
Listen to your body to decode the signs of bad digestion:
This is the first step to follow when you want to cure your digestive disorders. Indeed, each evil is indicative of an imbalance, each sign has its importance to get to understand where dysfunction comes from and why. It is important to observe whether digestive disorders are associated with the consumption of one or more specific foods, at what time of the day, what are the accompanying symptoms, sensations felt, where? Digestion is a complete process, if during a phase there is a dysfunction all other stages will be altered creating various troubles that can be bothersome and painful:
- Bloating: If the feeling of bloating arises after eating, it may be the cause of too fast ingestion of food that is not sufficiently crushed. These foods too big for the stomach accompany a feeling of heaviness and promotes flatulence. Food (too rich, crudity, cereals, pulses …) and stress can also be the cause.
- Constipation: it is caused in most cases by a slowing of transit due to a diet low in fiber, a lack of hydration. Constipation can be a collateral damage related to stress, as explained above the nervous system controls the speed of digestion, an emotional disturbance can then create digestive disorders.
- Diarrhea: it can be caused by a food intolerance (lactose, gluten ..), by an intestinal transit too fast, a lack of hydration in the stool and also as much as the constipation by the stress.
- Post-prandial fatigue: when it is not daily it is very often associated with too rich meals, the digestion will be long, the body will need energy to digest too rich foods. Another cause, it can be related to hypoglycemia, yes, Even leaving the table! The functioning of the human body can sometimes seem incoherent …. Indeed, when you have eaten a lot, your blood sugar levels jump to unsustainable levels for the body. This peak blood sugar is even higher if your meal is rich in carbohydrates (bread, pasta, potatoes, pastries, sweetened drinks …) that easily turn into glucose, which will pass into your blood. Too much glucose in the blood is dangerous, the body lowers blood sugar by secreting insulin. It will order the cells of the body to absorb the excess sugar present in the blood to stabilize the blood sugar. This is how the blood sugar level goes down. Only the upheaval caused by the peak blood sugar due to too much carbohydrate food, will cause your body to produce an excessive amount of insulin. Too much insulin will cause an excessive drop in your blood sugar, leading to a hypoglycemia crisis. This is called reactive hypoglycemia.
Which dietary supplement (s) should be chosen to relieve digestive disorders?
When digestive disorders are occasional but nevertheless troublesome for you, there is a multitude of natural remedies that can relieve you.
- To relieve bloating, activated charcoal is strongly advised, it regulates the transit, absorbs the toxins and traps the excessive gases. You can eat it alone in capsules or combined with other active agents known for their action on digestion and intestinal transit (such as Herbesan Carbogaz).
- Aloe vera will be your ally in case of digestive disorders, such as constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux and heartburn. Enriched with mucilage, aloe vera protects the digestive wall, it regulates the transit thanks to its anti-inflammatory action. You can find it in the form of sticks, easy to take and carry.
- In case of diarrhea, ultra-ventilated green clay is ideal. It will act as a dressing by absorbing toxins and regulating the transit. Simply brew some green clay in a glass of water, if possible let steep a full night before drinking.
- For a more general action on the digestive system, think about using plants! A mixture of EPS Melissa-Milk Thistle-Turmeric, will have a protective action, anti-inflammatory, and calming nervous on the digestive sphere. On the same principle but with other plants, a mixture of GEMG (Glycerine Fluid Honeyed Fluid) Boldo-Mauve-Oregano, will facilitate digestion, calm spasms and promote transit. 5ml to take in a large glass of water once a day for 1 month will help you regain your intestinal comfort.
- To facilitate digestion and avoid this feeling of heaviness and tiredness, we advise you to consume herbal infusions reputed for their action on the intestinal sphere after each meal (). According to Ayurvedic medicine hot water is an excellent remedy, it helps prevent constipation, promote digestion, avoid fatigue and moisturize the tissues, associated with the active ingredients of plants, it is a good preventive remedy .
Some plants to have in his cupboards to make an emergency remedy (three to four plants in a herbal tea are enough):
- The microbiota has an important role to play in digestion. The bacteria that make up the intestinal flora play a fundamental role in maintaining our balance. They are established in the ecosystem and produce substances beneficial for the proper functioning of the body. They help the degradation of certain absorbable substrate molecules, they protect against the proliferation of germs that could be harmful, they produce enzymes, vitamins and fuels of the cells of the large intestine. An imbalance of the intestinal flora can cause many disorders, bloating, diarrhea, vomiting … It is then essential to recreate this flora with the help of probiotics, which will act by strengthening the natural bacteria present in the body. The Pileje laboratory has developed a whole gram of probiotics with different strains of bacteria each with their specificity, for example to regain digestive comfort microbiotic strains contained in Lactibiane Reference 5G. To fully reseed the flora, a 3 months probiotic course is strongly recommended to enjoy the benefits in the long term.
How to avoid bad digestion after a hearty meal?
If your digestion is good in general but you want to have an extra remedy after the occasional hearty meals, opt for essential oils! Easy to transport and take punctually, they will facilitate digestion, avoiding the feeling of heaviness and post-meal fatigue. Three essential oils to have in your first aid kit:
- Peppermint: In addition to being stimulating, peppermint essential oil will help digestion, especially if it is accompanied by nausea and spasms. A drop on the tongue or in a teaspoon of honey, to renew if necessary in the hours which follow two to three times a day. If the peppermint is too strong in your mouth for you, you can use the essential oil of Mint of the Fields, which will have a less strong taste with the same digestive virtues
- Noble Laurel: internally (1 drop in a teaspoon of honey, two to three times a day) or in massage diluted with a vegetable oil it is anti spasmodic. In olfaction, it helps fight against the barbell felt after the festive meal
- Basil: it soothes heartburn, aerophagia and bloating. To take orally 1 to 2 drops, two to three times a day, in a teaspoon of honey, or to apply by massaging in the direction of the clockwise diluted in a vegetable oil.
If you are uncomfortable with the use of essential oils or the taste is too strong, you can turn to essential oil capsules ready for use, easy to carry and keep. The Pranarom laboratory has developed Oleocaps 3 with essential oils of Peppermint, Exotic Basil, Cumin, Star Anise, Lemon, Caraway, Black Pepper. They can be taken in prevention of a copious meal or after and to keep on oneself to help the digestion in everyday life There is no miracle cure to have a good digestion. Our body is like a car, just as it needs the right fuel, a good maintenance and a drain to function and last in time, our body needs a good nutrition of a good lifestyle and phase detox to stay healthy as long as possible. Adjust your diet rationally, adopt a healthy lifestyle by taking the time to savor your meals, ventilate your body and mind, and when you feel foul, especially at the changes of the season, give yourself a detox cure twice a day. Year-round herbal to cross the seasons while keeping your vitality. Remember that the belly is our second brain if not the first, take care!
https://www.ponroy.com/conseils-sante/bien-etre-vitalite/digestion/les-etapes-de-digestion-1 http://www.aloemagazine.com/troubles-digestifs-symptomes/ http : //www.aloemagazine.com/ventre-centre-de-la-sante/ http://www.desintoxication.info/quest-ce-que-flore-intestinale/