The sore throat is sore autumn and winter currents and often benign. However, it is important to analyze the symptoms in order to properly identify its nature in order to find the appropriate treatment.
How do you define a sore throat?
A sore throat is posterior pharyngeal pain that may or may not occur during swallowing. The pain may be more or less severe, sometimes causing difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia).
This pain is a common symptom, most often due to a viral or bacterial infection. Infection or simple inflammation , other causes can explain the irritation source of pain: allergy, pollution, smoking, acid reflux of gastric fluid, etc.
What are the symptoms of a sore throat ?
This very frequent pain is generally felt at the back of the throat in the pharynx and tonsils , resulting in tingling and a more or less intense burning sensation. This pain may be accompanied by fever, cough, runny nose, hoarseness of the voice, or even enlarged lymph nodes in the neck, etc.
What are the causes ?
- A viral infection (nasopharyngitis, tonsillitis , mononucleosis, herpes stomatitis, etc.)
- A bacterial infection (strep throat, scarlet fever, etc.)
- A non-infectious cause (irritation, atmospheric pollution, dryness of the ambient air, allergy, tobacco, vapors of chemical substances, ingestion of irritants – essential oils, fruits & vegetables containing pesticides, etc. – presence of a foreign body in the throat – fishbone, rabbit bone splint, etc. – gastroesophageal reflux disease , etc.)
Some naturopathic tips to prevent or relieve a sore throat :
- Cover your throat in case of extreme cold:
Turtleneck, scarf, snood… no inch of skin should escape you to avoid catching a cold.
- Gargle with salt water or baking soda :
The salt acts as a mild antiseptic while helping to extract water from the lining of the throat.
- Honey :
Thanks to its antibacterial and cough suppressant properties, honey can accelerate the healing of sore throats.
Vitamin C can help boost the immune system and fight infection.
- Drink plenty of water and hot drinks:
Hot drinks like soups and herbal teas can also provide great relief and soothe the pain.
- Change your toothbrush if your sore throat recurs:
Over time, bacteria build up on the brush bristles and could re-enter your system through small wounds.
- Rest and healthy food:
To stimulate your immune system, it is recommended to have a healthy lifestyle, including getting enough sleep and adopting a varied and balanced diet.
What herbs to use for a sore throat ?
- Quince syrup or jelly:
This large, fleshy fruit is excellent for soothing inflammation of the throat in tonsillitis and pharyngitis.
- The walls :
Of course, it is not yet the season! However, ripe briar fruits are very effective in inflammation of the throat.
Gargle several times a day, this decoction will do wonders to soothe sore throats.
Sore throat can be one of the symptoms of the coronavirus (Covid-19). To find out more, we invite you to read our article “ All you need to know about the Coronavirus Covid-19 “.