Gonadal disorders and menopause
Menopause is a normal physiological process that results in the cessation of ovulatory cycles due to decreased ovarian function.
Postmenopause is the period after menopause (on average around age 55) in women. It is characterized by a number of more or less annoying events: hot flashes, sleep disturbances, among others, which result from significant hormonal changes, due to the stoppage of ovarian function. It should be noted that HRT (hormone replacement therapy) is today strongly questioned, prescribed estrogen being strongly suspected of increasing the risk of the appearance of cancer. Late menopause requires gynecological follow-up.
Physiological menopause is established by the absence of menstruation for a year, around age 50, however, being menopausal between 41 and 58 is a normal situation.
Before the age of 40, when this phenomenon occurs, we speak of “early menopause”, most often due to non-iatrogenic ovarian failure, it requires hormone replacement therapy to prevent cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis.
Note that smoking tends to advance the age of menopause by one or two years. Conversely, obesity can decrease it.
A certain number of symptoms can begin before the complete stop of the rules in period known as “pre-menopausal”:
- Modified menstrual flow and cycle length
- Hot flashes, night sweats
- Vaginal dryness, painful intercourse
- Aging of the skin
- Urinary disorders with frequent cystitis
- Constipation, diarrhea
- Arthralgia, myalgia
- Weight gain
- Possible osteoporosis
- Character and / or mood disorders
However, it is important to approach this new cycle of life with serenity and to see no loss of femininity in it.
Naturopathic advice and plants to relieve menopausal disorders :
To fight hot flashes :
- Avoiding triggers (spicy foods, bright lights, comforters, predictable emotional reactions)
- Cool the environment (lower the thermostat, use fans)
- Wearing layered clothing that can be removed as needed can help
- Exercise to lose weight
- Eat more soy. Indeed, the secret of its benefit is in the equol (isoflavone) it contains. Isoflavones are plant polyphenols having the biological effect of weak estrogen, the action of which in the postmenopausal period is very interesting. Soy has been shown to relieve hot flashes effectively.
Plant side :
Hops have estrogenic properties, it acts on hot flashes and sleeplessness during menopause. Clary sage acts on hormonal insufficiencies that can play a role in mood disorders, sleep, hot flashes and possible circulatory disorders.
The formula :
Dosage: 5 ml to be mixed in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable for 3 months.
Hot flashes last an average of four to five years.
To fight against vaginal dryness:
- Regularly take vitamin B9 cures. Folic acid promotes cell renewal and prevents damage to the mucous membranes
- Rebalance fatty acids with an omega cure to promote hydration in the mucous membranes, including the vaginal mucosa
Plant side :
Gattilier EPS:Action on hot flashes and vaginal dryness (5 ml to be mixed in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable 3 months as needed)
Vaginal lubricants and moisturizers improve vaginal dryness on an ad hoc basis. Regular sex or other vaginal stimulation helps preserve vaginal function.
To fight against skin aging :
- Take a vitamin C cure. Ascorbic acid is a powerful antioxidant which fights against skin aging. It especially helps in the formation of collagen.
- To drink a lot of water
- Avoid tobacco
- Protect yourself from the sun’s rays
Plant side :
Medicinal sage hydrosol: Real plant-based lifting, to be applied to the skin with a cotton ball as a daily lotion
Alchemilla EPS: Powerful antioxidant, take 5 ml to mix in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable 3 months as needed
To fight against weight gain during menopause :
- Eat fruits and vegetables daily (remember to eat fruit outside of meals)
- Choose the right sources of fat and protein
- Get regular physical activity
- Maintain a good level of hydration
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, and trans fats
- Avoid low-fat, light or 0% products (these products are not hypocaloric, the sugar is simply replaced by sweeteners whose harmlessness for the body has not been demonstrated, or they are low in fat. the brain is not fooled; studies have shown that consumers of low-fat products eat 30 to 50% more than conventional products)
- Eat smaller meals and split the diet so you don’t have cravings
- Never skip meals
- Eat small protein and fiber snacks between meals to avoid snacking
Plant side :
Lemon verbena hydrosol:Diuretic and lipid-lowering, take 1 tablespoon in a glass of water 1 to 2 times a day for 1 month
Ginseng EPS : Modulator of carbohydrate metabolism during menopause, take 5 ml to mix in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable 3 months as needed
Orthosiphon EPS : Elimination, drainage, water retention; take 5 ml to mix in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable 3 months as needed
To prevent osteoporosis :
- Take a vitamin D cure (for fixing calcium and phosphorus in the bones and teeth, also prevents osteoporosis among other things, action in the mineralization and repair of bone tissue and joints), vitamin C (involved in bone building and repair), Calcium (promotes bone health) and Silicon (promotes bone balance)
Plant side :
Alfalfa EPS: Fight against demineralization, also indicated in skin dryness. Take 5 ml to mix in a large glass of water 2 times a day for 1 month, renewable 3 months as needed
All the remedies indicated should not be taken simultaneously, it will be necessary to adapt according to the symptoms until the stabilization of the hormones.