Bloating is defined by a feeling of swelling of the abdomen (meteorism) with the need to eructer or emit gases. There are several types of them:
The bloating of the stomach actually causes a feeling of gravity in the stomach. It is also accompanied by an exaggerated ingestion of air (aerophagia).
The bloating of the small intestine therefore occurs in the aftermath of surgery for intestinal obstruction or paralysis. It is also seen in children with otitis, angina or the onset of gastroenteritis.
The bloating of the large colon therefore causes bloating and abdominal pain. However, it is caused by intestinal infections, a diet too rich in starches and cabbages, raw vegetables, fruits or carbohydrates.
Definition of bloating
Causes of bloating
In particular, our intestines are colonized by bacteria that are essentially involved in digestion. The decomposition of certain foods by these germs actually causes the production of gas.It is the excess gas that ultimately causes bloating; the belly is swollen, pains appear.
How to avoid bloating?
As a result, bloating results from excess fibre intake due to the consumption of fruit and raw vegetables, but also more often than not to poor eating habits.
- Avoid drinking soft drinks during meals as they contain digestion inhibitors such as preservatives, tannins, alcohol and refined sugars.
- Avoid industrial preparations rich in fats and additives.
- Focus on protein in the diet.
- Avoid foods responsible for bloating: white beans, celery, carrots, cabbage, raisins, bananas, apple juice, excess raw vegetables, fresh and hot bread, cucumber, mangoes. Restrict fast sugars and fats, eggs, ice creams.
- Add thyme, savory, tarragon or chervil to cooking water if cooking pulses
- Prefer pasta, rice, potatoes, eggplant, apples, bread, broccoli, poultry, fish, melon, red fruits, flat water.
- Prefer olive oil which is the most digestible of fats, herbs that oppose bloating
- Add organic oat bran to your diet
Rules of life
Avoid meals that are too hearty, fatty and spicy, promote a varied diet
- Eating meals on a regular basis
- Eat sitting, slowly, in peace, taking the time to chew the food well. Stress slows down digestion functions.
- Avoid chewing gum, soft treats and stimulants (tobacco, alcohol)
- Avoid stressful situations
- Avoid lying down after meals and clothes that are too tight at the abdominal level
- Beware of certain medications that can increase bloating such as osmotic laxatives.
How to treat bloating
Trimébutine (Debridat®), Phloroglucineol (Spasfon®), Pinaverium bromure (Dicetel®), Mébévérine (Duspatalin®), Citrate d’alverine (Meteospasmyl®)…
Associated with sedatives or anxiolytics: Clidinium bromide 2.5 mg – Chlordiazepoxide 5 mg (Librax®)
They act locally by absorbing the emission of intestinal gases:
- simethicone products (Benegast® REDUGAS, DULCOGAS®, Polysilane Delalande®, Polysilane Upsa®, Siligaz®) act by altering the surface tension of gas bubbles, causing them to coalescence (anti-foam property). They absorb the au, the gases and fix the microbial toxins.
- Vegetable coal is the reference absorbent molecule (Charbon Belloc®, Carbolevure®, Carbactive®, Carbophos®, Elusanes®, Formocarbine®…)
- Speciality containing both simethicone and coal: Notgaz®
Precautions: Absorbent products may, however, reduce the digestive resorption of other medicines. However, it is best to observe a 2-hour interval between oral intakes.
Clay-based dressings protect the mucous membrane by their covering power and absorb gases: Bedelix®, Actapulgite®, Smecta®, Smectalia®…
If heartburn accompanies bloating, favour the combination of an antacid and an absorbent molecule: Maalox® bloating, Rennie® Deflatin
Ballooning and oligotherapy
To avoid reoffending:
Oligosol® Nickel-Cobalt 1 bulb each morning.
Ballooning and herbal medicine
- Vegetable coal (Carbactive®, Carbodigest, Elusanes® Coal, 3 Carboline Oaks …)
The activated vegetable charcoal obtained by carbonizing coconut shells, then becomes very porous and therefore has a great capacity for absorption; Perfectly tolerated, it remains in the digestive tract after ingestion. In the end, it will be able to fix not only the gases produced by the fermentation of certain foods, but also the bacteria that produce these gases.
To be taken away from meals and other medicines (1 hour before or 2 hours after) due to the absorbent activity of anthrax (risk of inactivation of the drugs).
- Clay (Stomargil®…): Preferably at the end of a meal
Carminative and digestive plants
- Green anise (Pimpinella anisum) seeds (fruit) Adult dosage: Infuse for 15mn 10g/l; drink 250 to 500ml per day. Warning: do not use in case of anethol allergy.
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) fruit: stimulates gastric peristalsis and facilitates the expulsion of gases. Adult dosage: Infuse for 15 minutes 10g/l; drink 250 to 500ml per day.Elusanes® Fenouil, Fenouil Arkogélules® 1 capsule morning noon and evening after meals to be taken with a large glass of water. Warning: do not use in case of anethol allergy.
- Badiane de chine (Illicium verum) – Star Anise. The dried fruit of Badiane of China is known for its virtues in case of digestive disorders accompanied by cramps, bloating, flatulence. Example of use: 3-star decoction for a bowl of decoration, once or twice a day at the end of a meal
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) Thyme Arkogélules®: 1 capsule for 3 meals.
Formulas against bloating
Drinkable solution to reduce bloating
- Fluid extract of fennel (fruit) 50ml
Fluid extract of gentian (roots) 40ml
Take a teaspoon of the mixture diluted in a glass of water morning and evening
Ready-to-use herbal teas
Clever herbal teas made from blending plants with anti-bloating aims. To take after each meal:
- Arkobio® Infusion digestion
Ballooning and homeopathy
The choice of homeopathic treatment is ultimately guided by the location of bloating
Predominance to the stomach
Ballooning, belching, and stomach pain occurring 1/4 hour after the meal, with feeling of fullness and short postprandial drowsiness: Nux vomica 5CH: 3 granules to suck after meals.
Carbo vegetabilis 5CH if bloating is relieved by air returns. The presence of any food causes the formation of gas and this in the morning. Bloating under umbilical with pain. The condition is aggravated by alcohol consumption which causes purple facial congestion. difficulty breathing. Combine Antimonium crudum if the person tends to eat too fast.
Argentum nitricum 9CH: Balloons with stomach pains and very noisy belching that relieve. The condition is aggravated by sweets. A very anxious person.
Asa foetida 5CH: swelling and spasms of the stomach and esophagus with fetid belching. A burning sensation in the stomach goes up to the throat. The disorders are triggered by nervousness.
Kalium carb swelling above the navel, as soon as or during the meal
Predominance at the lower abdomen
Lycopodium 5CH: swelling of the lower part of the belly (degreased belt syndrome: improved pain by loosening the belt). Acid eructations that do not relieve and emit gases that relieve. Long post-prandial drowsiness and attraction for sweetness. Quickly satisfied despite a strong hunger at the beginning of the meal. Aggravation around 5 p.m.
Raphanus 5CH important weather with lots of gas that can not be evacuated
Many flatulences: Aurum metallicum 5 CH in a powerful subject, muscular, congested with a purple face, cut, very angry with violent remarks.
The essential oils of this massage oil also have tonic and stimulating properties of the digestive system. They are also carminative, antispasmodic, they also facilitate the regulation of transit, and in fact help to fight colic and bloating. In short, they facilitate transit and ease the pain associated with menstrual cycles.
Apply in circular motions around the navel clockwise.
Aroma Express Capsules® Digestion Transit contains:
- Organic ceylon cinnamon essential oil, renowned for its digestive properties and for fighting digestive infections.
- Lemon essence and peppermint essential oil, known to stimulate the activity of the stomach, liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- Ginger essential oil renowned for helping to boost digestion
- Spot use: 2 capsules 3 times a day during the meal for 5 days.
- Regular use: 1 capsule in the morning and evening during the meal, 5 days a week during the entire period at risk.
To be swallowed with a glass of fresh water.
Ballooning and nutritherapy
Take acting on bloating for 2 months:
Some strains of probiotics including (lactobacillus plantarum 299V) help to relieve intestinal discomfort: Annoyance, gravity, bloating, allowing to rebalance a flora disturbed by an unbalanced diet or by antibiotic treatment.
These probiotics are also associated with simethicone or leaflet-structured smectite (absorbing power twice as large as green clay), and peppermint extracts.
- Bion® Transit, Bloxair, Ergyphilus® comfort, Lactibiane® Reference, Laxeov® Régul-Transit, Oligocaps® flat stomach,Noreslim® Flat Ventre, Probiolog® …
FOS (fructo oligo saccharide), pre-biotic which decreases the production of gas and therefore bloating, and fibers (tamarind, prunes and pectins).Transiline Lero®
Inulin is a biotic meadow that restores healthy intestinal flora to reduce the formation of new gases: Benegast® REDUGAS
- Angelica is particularly useful in cases of bloating
- Chicory stimulates digestion
- Purple has interesting properties on intestinal transit
- Smoke is traditionally used to promote the elimination of the body
- Artichokes help improve the comfort of the digestive system.
Take one light bulb a day in 20-day rehab. Several treatments per year are recommended
- Arkogélules® ArtichokeARKOFLUIDES® Artichoke Fenouil Bio, Hepanéphrol®…
See a doctor when:
- bloating appear unexpectedly but regularly, last abnormally long despite a correct diet, or if they are very painful.
- anaemia, weight loss, rectorragia, steatrhea or fever.